With appreciation to Cape Cod Bay Watch – Posted by Karen Vale:
Important DEP Hearings: Don’t Label Nuclear as Clean Energy!
Will Pilgrim get included in Mass. Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) Clean Energy Standard? Right now, it is excluded from the draft. LET’S KEEP IT THAT WAY!
In Oct. 2014 we told you about DEP’s Clean Energy Standard (CES), which is being developed as a part of the state’s Clean Energy and Climate Plan. The overall goal of the plan is to reduce CO2 emissions by 80% by 2050 (compared to 1990 levels). One of the questions MassDEP is trying to answer is whether or not to label nuclear power production as “clean” since the nuclear fission process in a reactor does not produce carbon emissions. However, MassDEP needs to take into consideration the broader environmental hazards and impacts of power sources before they are labeled as clean. Read the comments we submitted HERE.
Now DEP is requesting additional comments and holding three public hearings on its proposed new Clean Energy Standard regulation. Please attend the hearings and/or provide testimony if you can. Testimony may be presented orally or in writing at the public hearings.
Written comments can be submitted until April 27, 2015 to the following addresses:
– Email: email@example.com
– Mail: Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Waste Prevention, One Winter Street 7th Floor, Boston, MA 02108, Attn: Will Space
Here are some talking points for you to use when drafting your comment: [CES TALKING POINTS]
- Tues., April 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM, MassDEP Boston office, One Winter Street, Boston, MA
- Wed., April 15 at 1:00 PM, MassDEP Worcester office, 8 New Bond Street, Worcester, MA
- Thurs., April 16 at 1:00 PM, MassDEP Lakeville office, 20 Riverside Drive, Lakeville, MA.
To learn more about the CES, see below for a list of documents provided by MassDEP.
- Fact Sheet: Proposed MassDEP Clean Energy Standard
- 310 CMR 7.75: Proposed Clean Energy Standard (CES) *READ
- 310 CMR 7.75: Technical Support Document *READ
- 310 CMR 7.75: Notice of Public Comment Period
- Invitation to Stakeholder Meeting: MassDEP held a session in Boston in October 2014 to discuss options for implementing a CES.
- Stakeholder Meeting Presentation: Slides from the October 2014 meeting in Boston.
- Discussion Draft Regulation: Provided to facilitate stakeholder input on all aspects of a CES. This is not a proposed regulation.
- Comments Received on the Discussion Draft Regulation *READ See Entergy’s and Exelon’s comments (Entergy’s starts on page 91; Exelon on page 23) – your comments/testimony can be a rebuttal to these comments. MassDEP originally accepted comments through early November 2014. They are now accepting more comments.
- Report: A Clean Energy Standard for Massachusetts Prepared for the state’s energy and environmental agencies by Synapse Energy Economics in 2013. *READ
- GHG Reporting Technical Support Document – 2009 Includes an explanation of MassDEP GHG reporting requirements relevant to the CES
The comments we submitted on Oct. 31st could also be a good source of talking points. Read them here.